Original worker cabins located at Etna Furnace. Courtesy of the Pennsylvania State Archives.
Etna Furnace, in Catherine Township, Blair County, was the first iron furnace in Blair County, built in 1809 by John Canan, David Stewart, and William Moore. It was later sold to Henry Spang. After Spang's death, it was purchased by Samuel Isett. After the canal closed in 1872, the iron business declined and finally shut down in 1876. Although portions of Etna Furnace has collapsed or deteriorated over the years, the structure remains one of the finest examples of such industry in the region today. The Blair County Historical Society was deeded the land on which the furnace stack sits in 1947. In 1990, steel bands were placed around the stack to prevent further collapse.
Blair County Historical Society Physical Site: Baker Mansion 3419 Oak Lane Altoona, PA 16602